Updated: Feb 26, 2018
"A small town built for the purposes of housing the “clerks, engineers, draftsmen, technicians, and laborers building the Passamaquoddy Tidal Power Project, the world’s largest tidal dam. The site was originally the George Rice farm, on the Old Toll Bridge Road and Route 190.”
“The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Quoddy dam project began officially on July 4, 1935. It was estimated that 5,000 workers were needed for the project, and Eastport lacked housing. A model village, named Quoddy, was built three miles from the center of Eastport. It consisted of 128 single family, two-family, and four-family houses; three large dormitories with dining rooms for single workers; a fire station; hospital; heating plant; school; large mess hall; and a large administration building that included a theatre, library, and sub post office. Quoddy housed over 1,000 workers and their families…
The Quoddy dam project was officially shut down in July 1936. From 1938 to 1943 the National Youth Administration used Quoddy Village to train 800 city youth a year in vocational trades. It was a Navy Sea Bee base named Camp Lee-Stephenson during World War II."